Re: [MV] WWII Jeeps - History Channel

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@lynx.bc.ca)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 08:29:20 PDT

timberwolf@lynx.bc.ca
>writes:
>
><< Had a 1962 M151 with all the arctic stuff and what looked like the
original
> engine. They still crop up from time-to-time, and I've personally come
>across four - all within the same range as my old beast, 2D-1753. >>
>
>Yes indeed....... 2D 1753 would have been delivered in April 1962 under
>Ford's contract number DA20-018-ORD-23240. Did it still have its original
>Magnesium wheels?

Mine didn't, but its brother down in the 'states from the same batch had
three out of five,
and the fellow found a fourth. Used to belong to Gary Paris from the Puget
Sound chapter, MVPA.

Mine had all the other wonderful (?) early pattern 151 stuff: single rubber
bumper on the rear a-frames,
no additional rear-facing blackout light as in the A1's, peculiar
torx-style screws attaching half-shaft
to the wheels, and a neat switch on the dashboard that read:

"Emergency Heater Shutoff: Use only in the event of Nuclear or Biological
attack."

Fun machine. The body was quite beat up from years of being moved from
place to place
by means other than its own wheels, but there was hardly any rust
whatsoever. Had all
its data plates intact, too, which was truly amazing. I'm sorry I sold it,
but had my eyes on
an A2 - and so it goes.

Andy