RE: [MV] Wanted opinions M38A1 and trailer set up

From: Rice, James E MAJ (James.Rice@CEN.AMEDD.ARMY.MIL)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 11:01:40 PDT

 Richard,

I tow my GPW and jeep trailer on an 8-1/2 x 18 foot flatbed trailer. I
realized the M-38A1 is slightly heavier, but think this will still hold true
for it also.

I back my jeep trailer on until the wheels touch the front rail of the
flatbed and raise the landing leg so I can lower the jeep trailer tongue
down onto the bed. I then drive the GPW on until the front bumber is just
about one or two inches from the front of the jeep trailers bed. The jeep
trailer tongue at this point is resting underneath the front of the jeep.
On my 18 foot trailer, I have at least three feet remaining at the aft end
that I can use to lash down extra odds and ends. The same arrangement will
also work in a 16 foot utility trailer. I used to borrow a friends 16 ft
dual axle utility all the time until I bought my own 18 foot.

I've hauled my GPW all over Texas and Oklahoma with them loaded this way.
Works well by keeping about 60% of weight forward of the center. The luxury
of the extra two feet is that I have the space to move the jeep and trailer
back and forth to obtain the optimum tongue weight.

Jim Rice
San Antonio, TX