Re: [MV] Kubelwagen type 82 and Schwimmwagen type 166 - WW2 models only

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 10:35:28 PDT

Mon cher M. Weinland:

N'oubliez-pas le Canada! [Don't forget Canada!] Why should the French ,
Brits, Yanks, Austrians, Luxemburgers, Germans etc. have all the fun!

Offhand I know of only 1 (one) Scwimwagon in Canada - at the Canadian War
Museum. Another one was in British Columbia (I have seen a photo of it in
civilian paint scheme) but it disappeared years ago. Yet another one was
stored dismantled (Schwim ?? or Kubel?) in Ontario, and was reported stolen.
I do not know of any Kubelwagons in Canada.

One Kubelwagon restored and complete except for the jack was advertised
recently for US$25,000 in Alaska (in their club newsletter).

IF you have any history on these two vehicles e. g. ORIGINAL military
licence registration (e.g. WH123456; WL...: SS ...) numbers, or ORIGINAL
markings (of the Axis and/or Allies (after they got hold of them), or
history of where they served, were captured , by whom , any battle damage
etc. etc. that should help add to their value. I am a museum curator and I
encourage people to research the history of their vehicles. I am glad to say
that more people are doing so. I have had a lot of fun (and some
frustration) tracing the history of my 1944 Willys MB (ex-UK, ex-Norway) and
of other ex-military vehicles that I have owned.

If the Schwimwagon has a bullet hole in the underside of the body and was
found in North West France in the area nearest Britain it MAY be the one I
have photos of. The Americans had captured it, then the Canadians stole
(sorry, "liberated") it from the Americans, and a Canadian soldier friend of
mine painted white stars on it and they took it for a swim. That is when
they found out about the bullet hole and hastily turned towards shore! They
made it.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor MAPLE LEAF UP (Est. 1977) newsletter
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB