Re: [MV] HMMWV PS pump pulley removal?

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 15:10:28 PDT

mblair1@home.net wrote:
> I'm trying to rebuild my 1986 M998 HMMWV's leaking power steering
> pump, but I can't get the pulley off.

Fire Made It Good.

I got the #%@$$!# pulley off by heating it up with a propane torch so
it would relax its hold on the shaft. Still, it fought me all the way,
and when I ran out of screw threads on my improvised puller, out came
the hammer again!

Now, I'm wondering how I'll get it back on. There doesn't appear to be
a key or flat, so I guess it holds on to the shaft with an
interference fit, with a capscrew and washer in the end to keep it
honest. Would leaving the pump in the freezer overnight and boiling
the pulley for a half hour or so, and then pounding the sucker back on
be the right approach?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/