HMMWV alternator bracket bolt reuse

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sun Jul 30 2000 - 14:02:09 PDT

Ok, this might be a dumb one: According to the service manual, the two
capscrews which mount the alternator bracket to the engine on my 1986
M998 HMMWV, as well as the long capscrew which helps mount the
alternator bracket and serves as the pivot for the power steering pump
bracket, are supposed to be discarded and replaced when removing the
brackets. I routinely replace lockwashers with new ones, and I know
that some bolts (like the ones used on cylinder heads) are Special and
are not reusable, but I'm not sure why these particular capscrews are
supposed to be replaced. Are these bolts made to yield a bit or do
something else funny and irreversible when first installed? Or are
they simply self-sealing bolts which might be reused with a bit of
Loctite?

I could try reusing them, or I could go buy three random high-strength
bolts with the same dimensions and threads at the local auto parts
store... but first, I'd like to find out if there's anything special
about those bolts.

I had to remove the long one to get the power steering pump out to
rebuild it, and I want to remove the rest of the alternator bracket
bolts so I can see if I can shift it a bit so that the rear alternator
support bracket will fit better.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/