Re: [MV] Fw: Bill Gregg

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 15:27:04 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "NIGEL HAY" <Nigelhay@tanksrus.freeserve.co.uk>
To: "Military Vehicles List" <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2000 9:44 PM
Subject: [MV] Fw: Bill Gregg

> Sad news from a modelling newsgroup.
>> I see in Friday's Globe and Mail that Bill Gregg has died.

This is very sad indeed, a great loss to us all.

> > He was probably best known for his 3-part 'Canadian Military Vehicle'
> > Series published in the 1980's. This work had never been attempted
before
> > and copies of them are eagerly sought by all Canadian MV enthusiasts.

These are absolutely excellent publications and should be snapped up
whenever they are found, fortunately a good friend nearby has all three in
as new condition, personally signed by the author too.

I have not seen a posting here yet and I regret to be the bearer of more bad
news, however, I copy the CMP list posting from our good friend and Sherman
register keeper Hanno Spoelstra:

I phoned Bart Vanderveen the week before Beltring to ask if he had
time to see me and Geoff Winnington-Ball. He said he was pleased to
see us after Beltring and an appointment was made.
However, after Geoff and I got back, his wife had left a message on my
voice-mail saying that he had been admitted to hospital. Startled, I
contacted Mrs. Vanderveen for more details. She told me Bart has been
operated on for cancer last week. After he recovers from the operation he
will need further treatment. No doubt the next months will be a
difficult time for him and his family. Luckily, his wife and
daughters are there to support him.

The reason why I post this message is to inform the people that know
him personally on his condition. You might want to send him a postcard
to cheer him up. If you don't have his postal address, I can forward
messages. Send your wishes to my e-mail address < HL.Spoelstra@inter.NL.net

and I will print them out and send them to Bart. Please refrain from
elaborate e-cards, a few lines will do more than fine.

Here's hoping one of the founding fathers of the military vehicle
preservation movement will recover quickly to rejoin our ranks.

----

For those of you who don't know, Bart Vanderveen is the editor of the unparalleled Wheels and Tracks periodical published quarterly and renowned for its scale, scope and depth, plus the indispensable three pocket book set of MV recognition and data known simply as the "Bible", sadly out of print now but worth every penny if you can find them, MV life without even the WWII volume is unthinkable.

Here's hoping Bart makes a full and speedy recovery.

Richard Southampton - England