Re: [MV] Deuce trans problem

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@lynx.bc.ca)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 22:44:44 PDT

At 07:43 AM 7/31/00 EDT, MVTrucker@aol.com wrote:
>Listers,
>Have any of you cured popping out of fifth gear while decelerating an M35A2
>or similar truck? It only happens once in a while and I'm thinking (hoping)
>it's
>merely a week spring in the top shifter.
>As a side note, I've often encountered loose bolts on jack shaft u-joints on
>the M35A2. This is the short drive shaft that connects the transmission to
>the transfer case. Take a few minutes and make sure they're tight if you
>have one.
>Joe "MV Trucker" Young

We've got a 109A3 at work that kicks out of reverse every now and again, but
as no other gear seems to be affected, I've basically let it be. Fifth, of
course,
is a different story!

While we're talking deuces, I'm working on an M35A2 (LDT) 465-1D, and when we
picked it up from Lewis, it was suffering from a baked injector pump (blew
apart
inside - appeared to be an assembly problem.) Changed it with
another unit we had on a T.O. engine, condition unknown, lined up all my
timing marks,
then found it would do about 2000 rpm under all conditions, but no more.
Changed
the fuel pump, all the filters, checked to see the quantity of diesel
making back into the tank,
and all seems fine. Rechecked the timing just to make sure, and, as
expected, everything's
just ducky.

The fuel pump that came out was *seriously* gunked up, as was the bottom of
the primary
filter, but the secondary and tertiary were fine, nor was there any
evidence of the primary's
output line being gunked up in any fashion. So, that leaves me with the
inescapable conclusion
that I have either gummed up fuel lines leading to the primary (pressure
looked good, though),
narrowed or kinked lines post-primary, or I've installed a dodgy injector
pump.

Just to make it interesting, I yanked the primary filter out entirely to
see if I had a fuel
feed problem there, and everything ran exactly as advertised...for
awhile...just long enough,
in fact, for me to pronounce everything working, and appear quite the idiot
the next
day when all was as before. Also, two times out of three, you can shut
the fuel
pump off while the engine is running full tilt at 2000 rpm, and pick up a
hundred to
two hundred rpm! No explanation for that one.

Any thoughts appreciated. Another injector pump change is not how I want
to spend one of my weekdays.

Andy Hill,
Vancouver, B.C.