Re: [MV] HR4207 Re demilling is legally flawed....

From: Brandon Kunicki (c322348@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 14:05:21 PDT

------------------------------
> This is my first post and I don't know if I am
> covering ground which has
> been covered before and if I have, excuse me.

Your opinions on this are most appreciated!

> I only recently got into MVs w/my M37 and working on
> getting a half-track
> so I do have a vested interest here.

> I'm the first to agree certain types of weapons
> should not be in civilian
> hands. Heck, a year or so ago I saw a bank robbery
> here (North Hollywood,
> Ca) where the bad guys had more and better firepower
> than the cops. But
> we're not talking about guns here, we're talking
> mostly vehicles.

Without getting too far off topic, I think that it is
EXACTLY the same issue. The bad guys are already
prohibited from possessing guns (let alone illegally
converted fully automatic weapons), yet they still get
them. The only military vehicle crime/stigma that I
can recall was when that nutcase stole the M60 tank
from THE CALIFORNIA NATIONAL GUARD... I don't think
any collector could afford the liability if that
happened to them. As collectors, we're more
responsible.

> Also, in reading the law I see no room for
> exemptions and/or appeals. Does
> this mean the movie studios and police departments
> have to demil or give
> back the items they have? I think not. If the movie
> studios and police
> departments are going to be exempt, don't we have an
> "equal protection"
> problem here? Should a movie studio have more rights
> than I do?

They already do (in California). Automatic weapons are
regulated by the BATF and by the California Department
of Justice. Guess who gets automatic weapons licenses
in from the California Department of "Justice?" The
(very liberal anti-gun) studios of course!

> Remember, talking,
> griping, etc. here does nothing but make us feel
> better (or worse as the
> case may be), it's taking our strength as voters
> directly the the people
> who (are suposto) represent us and tell then what we
> want.

As one individual, I can't do much- but bringing this
topic up and getting those with political clout
involved (like the MVPA should be) can maximize the
effect. I have brought this to the attention of the
EAA Warbirds of America and a few well connected
collectors that I know. If each of us does the same in
contacting our elected officials and spreading the
word, we have done all we can then.

> Thanks for the bandwith.

That's what this list is for....promoting the hobby!

Brandon Kunicki