Re: [MV] Politics - Issues relevant to MVs

From: LEEnCALIF@aol.com
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 11:24:04 PDT

Issues and American politics: Gore, Bush and H.R. 4205

Ed Lortz writes, ........As a gay man who served on shipboard in the Navy
during Vietnam, and an owner of a 1948 CJ2-A (and 2 yr list subscriber), some
of your posts scare me, as does the republican party, as does the nra,...."

Ed, frankly you scare me; it's how you think. You are not seeing the big
picture, but rather focusing on your preconceived prejudices without allowing
yourself benefit of all the facts and what they may mean to our collective
future. What happens in the USA, be it with bill H.R. 4205 or the
presidential election cannot only hurt us here, but possibly influence what
happens in other countries. So it's reasonable that all MVPA members should
respect discussions on political issues, policy changes and be informed about
candidates, when relevant to our hobby.

Your attitude of "cut and run" because you are miffed over political
commentary can only serve to continue your ignorance in this area. In a
broader sense this is what is wrong with many so-called Americans. They
don't like something, they drop out... run away, ignore the problem... stay
in denial. Look how many don't vote!

This thread is absolutely essential to the future of our hobby and I would
think it would foolish to not talk about it. H.R. 4205 was a responsible
contribution by those who brought it to our attention. It's also fair that we
should recognize and support the people in politics that support us and
reflect our ideals, i.e. Bush. If the Democrats were the ones best at
reducing government's size and influence, easing our tax burdens and giving
us more personal freedom, like importing SME, I guess I would be a Democrat
and I would be voting for your man Gore.

Freedom to express intelligent, relevant issues belongs here. If anything
does not belong here it your announcement of your sexual preference. I for
one couldn't care less if you are gay. Sure has nothing to do with what
we've been discussing, like H.R. 4205.

Bottom line. I care about the future of my hobby and yours as does everyone
following this thread. If you don't understand that, then perhaps it's
better to say good bye. On the other hand, if you have a change of heart
from some higher reasoning, I for one would welcome your help. The choice is
yours, lead, follow or get out of the way. That's my 2 cents worth.

Jack Big tent Republican Lee
Ferret Mk 2/3
SUMB