MUTT Clutch Problem

From: MThom15@aol.com
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 07:52:03 PDT

Well, I knew it would happen sometime, I just didn't know when. I'd been
bragging to all my friends who laughed when I told them I bought a 30 year
old jeep that it ran great, and didn't have a single problem. This morning I
found out I was wrong!!

So here's the problem: Yesterday when I was out driving, my 1971 M151 A2 ran
perfect. No unusual noises, nothing out of the ordinary. This morning I
went to start her up to move her out of the rain and into the garage, and
when I stepped on the clutch, it fell straight to the floor. No resistance
whatsoever. She started up like usual, but without a clutch, I can't shift
gears to move her. Under the hood, everything appears in working order.
When the clutch is depressed, everything moves like it should, but the clutch
won't disengage. The rod seems to move quite a bit, like there's nothing on
the other end. Could it be broken off? I'm not the most technical person,
so I didn't try and take anything apart and see.

Has anyone had this happen to them before? Do I need to replace the clutch,
or will an adjustment be all that's needed? Any advice would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

Matt Thompson
MVPA #21737
1971 M151 A2