Re: [MV] HMV's and book burning

From: JOHN SEIDTS (john@astory.com)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 08:02:59 PDT

Okay, I have to step in here, and make some comments.

If you want to bash laws about vehicle occupant or rider safety, without
looking at the $ and cents that drove those laws, that's fine. You fail in
that exercise to look at the costs associated with allowing people to get on
motorcycles helmetless and drive down interstates unbelted. But your logic
is faulted if you avoid looking at those costs, and understanding the real
reason behind making those laws, and you will be looked at negatively by
anybody who looks at your actions as a whole.

Similarly the military vehicle preservation crusade. The laws which are
presently proposed have some root in our country's fiscal procedures. If
you think a politician proposes legislation without having some one
reminding him or her how a company, group of corporations, and political
groups "X" will be impacted by a law, and how it will contribute to his or
her re-election bid, you are as naive as a schoolboy. Follow the money
trail, not the emotional trail.

What I am saying is get out of the business of reminding everybody of lost
battles and cultural changes which most of us were not a part of, and
signifigant portions of Americans don't care about or associate with radical
causes. You want to own guns, HMV's, pornography, tax-free internet sites,
and not drink fluouridated water, get out there and show the American
Politician how it will line his pockets or keep his re-election in the bag.
Then you will have your gun-HMV-pornography-tax-free internet
site-non-fluouridated water way of life preserved.

Now here's some more gas for the fire... How does everybody feel about the
$100 million WWII monument we are building to commemorate how we are selling
out that generation's right to cheap healthcare and social security?