Re: [MV] Tom's comments

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 20:03:49 PDT

Ok so a person died because he chose not to wear a helmet. Would you really
be interested in knowing how many people are crippled for life or dead due
to "DOT approved helmets"? Motorcycle helmets for all their supporters cut
down visibility, reduce your ability to hear other vehicles closing on you
and are known to snap necks in two in vehicle accidents due to the weight of
the helmet exceeding the neck muscles ability to prevent the neck from going
beyond it's range of motion. I've been riding motorcycles on the street
since 1966 and in the one motorcycle accident I've had in that time the
helmet was the cause of my stiff neck and brace I had to wear for over 4
months due to a low speed accident, 60 MPH. I got that info from my Doctor.
I have been riding an average of 6,000-9,000 miles a year here in New
Hampshire without a helmet and will not wear one unless forced to. Why
should motorcycle riders be forced to wear a "safety" item but not
automobile drivers?? Sounds like discrimination to me.

    The Wife has finally granted me permission to buy a Jeep but I'm holding
out for a Deuce, not enough room in a Jeep for a full Ham Shack.

1998 IMZ 8.103

James Shanks
The Line Below is my Ham Radio Callsign
n1vbn@bit-net.com
The line below is my Ham Radio Packet Address
N1VBN @ WB1DSW.NH.USA.NOAM