Re: [MV] John's comments

From: PUSkunk@aol.com
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 02:09:36 PDT

In a message dated 8/6/00 9:43:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tmmchugh@juno.com
writes:

> Your facts are correct.
>
> The first day of the new law, a motorcyclist was killed because he had no
> helmet.
>
> I guess he was a Sinatra Fan. "He did it his way" BUT< HE IS STILL
> DEAD.
As a motorcyclist in a state that does not require me to wear a helmet, let
me say that I know the risks involved when I don't wear one. I also know the
risks involved with smoking (I subcontract for Philip Morris) and with
drinking, unsafe sex, not wearing a seatbelt, and bungee jumping with a cord
that's too long. HOWEVER, having admitted I know all the risks involved,
isn't it my personal choice to do as I wish as long as it doesn't harm other
people? I know some will scream "cost to society!" about not wearing a
helmet, but hey, my insurance is fully paid up, and many studies have shown
there is a negligible cost anyway, and yes, I am an organ donor. How does
this relate to MVs? (or HMVs as another thread wants us to say) Our freedoms
are being eroded away, and no one complains unless it's in their own narrow
self interest. Let me drive my MV (don't have one yet), ride my bike, and
enjoy myself and keep Congress from trying to legislate fun out of everyone's
life!

Pher
"Everything I ever needed to know I learned from Junkyard Wars"
www.channel4.com/scrapheap
Lesson #2 Shade tree mechanics beat the military every time