Re: [MV] Right vs. Choice

From: Renaud OLGIATI (rolgiati@bigfoot.com)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 17:06:36 PDT

On Mon, 07 Aug 2000, you wrote:
> Let's say for a minute that motorcycles helmets
> MIGHT save a few lives. Where are you folks
> in YOUR lives? Right now I happen to be a
> loving son, husband, brother, father to six young children, and a
> valuable employee. Do
> I have the RIGHT to needlessly endanger myself? I can make that SELFISH
> choice, but
> do I have the RIGHT? The loss of any one of
> us leaves a GREAT BIG UNFILLABLE HOLE!
> We are not islands, any of us! Don

And what if helmets kill more than they save ?

In 1973, helmets were made compulsory for all MC riders; in the following
year, MC fatalities per million mile.rider went up 2% while the total road
fatalities went down 3% per million mile.driver.

 In 1975 a number of states in the US repealed or weakened their helmet
laws; the following years saw the MC fatalities going up more in the states
that had kept the compulsory helmets than in those that had repealed them.

Do you really want to wear such a dangerous implement ?

Cheers,

Ron the Frog, on the banks of the Paraguay River.

PS I have been riding for over 35 years, had a number of accidents, and my
helmet never was of any use to me, except to keep me dry in the rain, or
warm in winter; it never touched the ground in any of my accidents.

But I still usually wear it.

--

                               Procrastinate now

              ---  http://personales.conexion.com.py/~rolgiati  ---