Re: [MV] HR 4205 ...what equipment?

From: John Doherty (mofta@farmerstel.com)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 13:21:02 PDT

Well, I've just had my different viewpoint confirmed by Greg's info.

I am the captain of our local rural volunteer fire department, and a member
of the rescue squad. We, like so many other units, rely on military surplus
and government leftovers for a good deal of our equipment. Vehicles, pumps,
generators, trailers, tools, etc.. This bill could be devastating for an
awful lot of people. Rural fire departments are typically all volunteer,
and not really civic entities as such. Ours is not even in an incorporated
community. We would be standing on our own.

Not having fire protection, or rather having your fire protection taken from
you, by the DOD, could really get the number of affected individuals on the
rise.

I have already sent emails to my state senators and representative
concerning this issue. ( From the viewpoint as a captain of a volunteer
fire department, as a military vehicle collector, and as an industrial
maintenance professional using surplus military equipment.) I also
suggested that they determine the meaning of SME for themselves, and put it
in proper perspective as to who it would be affecting, their constituents.

Take notice of just how many different groups could be really hurt by this
action, and you see that it just doesn't make good common sense, not to
start speaking up. It's something that we must do, and do it loudly!

John