Re: [MV] Fearless Freddy's Land Rovers On Ebay

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 01:03:06 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robin Craig" <therobincraig@home.com>
To: "Military Vehicles List" <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2000 7:47 AM
Subject: [MV] Fearless Freddy's Land Rovers On Ebay

Hi Robin et al,

> The picture of the Land Rover was shot in the UK and the vehicle
represents
> a typical series 3 109" Land Rover,

Hmmmm, Series III; Dave who you met has one in Safari (station wagon) guise.

SIII - F head 6 cyl, desperately slow and thirsty as F heads are, a penchant
for burning exhaust valves on leaded so forget unleaded fuel. Needs the
Fairey overdrive to make 50 mph comfortably and has a turning circle worse
than a FV623 as we well know. To all intents and purposes is suspensionless
and will jar your spine going over a crown cork top.

Chassis frames are the definitive example of a rust bucket, out-riggers
first quickly followed by rear cross-member and main chassis rails,
excellent welding training aid. Plus the alloy panels pop-riveted to steel
are not good bed-fellows, sure the steel you can _see_ is galvanised. . . .
. . . . .

At the first hint of winter the British authorities grit the roads, the grit
is 50% salt and they spread it up to 5 tons/mile. . . . . . . . . . .

> I guess the watch words Caveat Emptor go along here............

Oh yes, undoubtedly.

Richard
Southampton - England