RE: [MV] Flashing lights for MV safety, general issue

From: Ian Wallace (iwallace@uswest.net)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 23:40:57 PDT

Robin....

I've done exactly the same thing - mounted a rotating beacon light on the
antenna mount on the left rear of the turret. I found that Coleman's Surplus
had a Federal Signal 28V twin sealed beam lights with yellow dome for $20.00
(Item #201511)!! What a deal. This is a $120 light, if you can find it. It
took me about an hour to fabricate a base and complete the installation - I
used a disk of 3/4 marine plywood - and voila! Safety in the slow lane. You
will find that the light does a great job of shining ahead, probably about
15 Degrees to the right side of center. This gives ample warning ahead, and
of course the lamps cover over 180 degrees to the rear. I, too drive home
late after shows, and we have both discovered that the Ferret in it's
camouflage is not the easiest thing to see. The little lamps on the rear are
not all that bright, and the yellow beacon lights up everything when it's
on. Great minds think alike, Robin! I'm glad you posted this so others may
get the same thought. By the way, I am planning on having an OD canvas "bag"
made to put over the light when it's at a show, so as to not detract from
the overall camo effect.

Ian Wallace, Seattle
1960 Ferret Mk 2/3, safe at night...