M37 steering problem follow-up

From: Enterprise B&B/Cayman Islands, BWI (Enterprise@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 00:17:11 PDT

Thanks to all who sent me notes.

I have looked over the steering gear and can't find any adjustment screws
or anything which seems to fit for that purpose, but then maybe by 1965
things changed. I didn't take the bottom plate off looking for shims though.

I did find the TM for the M37 but it's from 1955. Still, in the "trouble
shooting" section in "Steering" under "Excessive Play in Steering" it says
to do some tests and if play is excessive, to replace the steering gear.
Maybe by 1965 it was easier to simply replace the entire steering gear than
adjust or replace small parts.

This does look like a serious piece of work since the entire steering
column and wheel must be removed. Looks like a job for a mechanic w/the
needed puller(s).
Guess I had better double check and first find the part (NOS?).

Oh well, I have almost a year to get this puppy in order for a parade or
three. I did order a dummy 30 cal though. Now need the pintal (whatever)
to mount it to a base.

Take care.

David