Re: [MV] Exporting U.S. Vehicles to Canada

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@lynx.bc.ca)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 12:06:33 PDT

At 12:03 PM 8/12/00 -0400, Geoff Winnington-Ball wrote:
>Hallo List,
>
>I just received an inquiry from one of my readers regarding bringing a
newer MV
>into Canada from the U.S. The vehicle in question is a 1984 AMG M925 5-ton
>truck. While there is apparently no trouble on OUR side of the border,
this gent
>is concerned about any possible restrictions on the U.S. side... can
anyone with
>recent experience shed any light on the matter?
>
>Thanks in advance. I can only say that all this recent discourse on the
subject
>of what MAY be happening down south is disturbing, to say the least.

When the movie company I worked for brought the HUMV's north, there was indeed
a bunch of paperwork to get out of the way on the U.S. side before we could
begin our dealings with the Canadian side. Ian, the owner of the outfit,
waded through
three four-inch thick binders of U.S. Export Policy before finding the
appropriate
three-or-four pages which covered our situation, and after all the t's were
crossed
an the i's dotted, all was as kosher.

However, that's HUMV's. A number of us regularly import M109's, M35's and
M54's
after purchasing them at DRMS Ft. Lewis, WA, and the paperwork issued by
DRMS has been entirely sufficient (bill of sale, Form 97 etc.), with no
stop stateside
necessary before running the bureaucratic gauntlet of Canada Customs. I
doubt there'd
be a problem with the 900 series AMG either, as the Governments of both
sides should see
it as nothing more than a newer M54.

Andy Hill
MVPA #9211