Re: [MV] trailer

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@lynx.bc.ca)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 11:29:23 PDT

At 11:29 PM 8/7/00 EDT, Chris Stansbury wrote:
>Hi Listers,
>I had an offer today from a guy who wanted to sell me his M116 trailer. It
>is the maintanence version which looks like a mini covered wagon. It is all
>steel and has sides which lift up on hinges and stay up. There is a center
>partition which has all kind of mounts and hangers for tools and
>accessories. There are also reels on either side for extension cords. It
>has two mini ambulance style doors which open out the back too. There are
>also mounts on the floor for a generator or an air compressor. Do you guys
>have any idea what the trailer is worth? I think he wants around $600 for
>it. New tires, no rust holes. Any help would be great. I think it would
>look great behind my CUCV. Thanks.
>Chris Stansbury
>webmaster, http://www.steelsoldiers.com
>M1009 CUCV

The company I work for has purchased three of them from the Gov't
lately, good to very good condition, and paid in the region of $400-600
for them - with lots of bidders evidently fairly close behind.

I don't like them much myself from a practical perspective
for the chief reason that they're *very* heavy as they sit, and that's
without putting anything in them. Restoring it as a Pioneer Tool
Trailer might be an option, if you want, but in my opinion, they're
not much good for the sorts of things I tend to load in my trailers.

Another thing that others on the list may've noticed on their 1009's,
and that is the Army's stencil right above the pintle hook, on the
top surface of the bumper, which says:

"1/4 Ton Trailer Only"

Yikes. The first Blazer the company bought from Dr. Mo had no such
warning on it, and I came back from the Calif. MVPA convention
towing a fully-loaded M101A1 behind it!

Anyone know if the stencil was something applied to M1009's across
the board, or just the result of some particular unit's petty paranoia.
Hitch looks
skookum enough to me to handle a 3/4 ton trailer, and our Blazer
is none the worse for wear for its California adventure.

Andy Hill
MVPA #9211
Vancouver, B.C.