Re: [MV] What the heck is this? (M37 query)

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@lynx.bc.ca)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 09:41:52 PDT

At 06:24 PM 8/12/00 +0100, you wrote:
>In looking over my steering box (lower end of the steering column) on my
>1965 M37, there is a fitting on the bottom cover (the one w/4 bolts) which
>is a screw in type w/some line going out of it and into the frame. This is
>a detachable line. This isn't in the manual I have but it doesn't cover
>past 1955. Any ideas on this?
>
>And while I'm at it, where can I buy a manual for my M37? I recall seeing
>a CD-ROM which has several MV manuals on it but can't find it now. Duuuuuh

Portrayal Press has the manual reprints, but they're a bit pricey compared to
surplus copies, and the fact that they're "beautiful reprints, not
photocopies"
is fine if you're reading them around the kitchen table, but not much use
in the garage where they won't be 'beautiful" for very long.

Side note on the M37 steering boxes:

Canadian trucks (possibly earlier contract American ones too) were equipped
with
a steering box which, under some conditions, would crack right by the output
shaft and leave you with ineffective (if any) steering, usually under
off-road and
loaded conditions.

The Canadian Gov't evidently ordered all the boxes modified, and this was
done by
welding in an extra piece of flat-steel (looks like a bit like a triangle)
between the
body of the box, and the portion of the output shaft housing that sticks
out. This
was seemingly done with varying degrees of competence, and some of the
welds I've
seen are quite obvious and ugly indeed.

So, when the steering box on my M37 decided it was preloaded
all it could be preloaded, I went out to my spare Canadian parts truck -
secure
in the knowledge that "they'd all been modified" - only to find I had what
could possibly be the only remaining example of an UN-modified box
previously in Canadian service. Won't be using that one <grin>.

Question to listers with later M37's - particularly the B1's - wondering
whether or not the newer production boxes incorporate the reinforcement
mentioned, or perhaps might be a different design entirely? If so,
would the B1 style box be interchangeable with the earlier type?

Andy Hill
MVPA #9211
Vancouver, B.C.