Re: [MV] weird things at Beltring

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@lynx.bc.ca)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 10:00:51 PDT

At 01:14 PM 8/13/00 +0200, Andreas Mehlhorn wrote:

>You are right, too. Not only the people, some vehicles, too were overloaded
>with every kind of equipment the owner has.

Our local chapter of the MVPA, Western Command Military
Vehicle Historical Society (yes..the club banner is typically pinned
to a *very* big truck) has a few older folks who turn out in
period uniforms to go with their period vehicles. Can't speak
for everyone, but most times I've seen these older fellows typically
choose the higher rank typically befitting their age and
wasteline - but not always - and as long as the interpretation
is accurately, historically and tastefully done - I've personally never had
an issue with it. In fact, the uniforms and accoutrements generally
spark at least as many conversations as the vehicles and have led to more
than a few vehicle/artifact/accessory leads, not to mention untold wonderful
stories from veterans, fellow 'closet' collectors, and/or their
assorted surviving relatives.

As far as the 'overloaded' vehicles, yes, I've seen these too often
myself. 'Overloaded' as distinctly different from the 'fantasy
configuration' was perhaps best illustrated for me by the fellow
at the '88 Oregon MVPA convention who had a pallet-load of
RT-68 transceivers and power-supplies attached to basically
every free horizontal surface in his M38A1 - and all presumably operating
off of two 2HN's and a single antenna! Guess he wouldn't
need a heater though, so there's an upside after all.

Andy Hill
MVPA #9211
Vancouver, B.C.