Convention Day 4, KC Mo

From: stephen l dussetschleger (dussetschleger@juno.com)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 15:34:49 PDT

  Well it was a heck of a saturday. We got in & opened up & it was just
very busy. I had enough time to float around to shop. Bad. Lets see.
Had spent all my $ the first day, postdated checks the second day, sold
stuff the 3rd day, then promptly put it back into circulation. Now its
time to bang up the credit card. All the duece batteries were gone, had
to buy 2 for the M37's quickly. Then scouted out the M37 brake parts.
  Other stuff went on there like the judging. Don't know how that went.
  Started hearing the first negative grumblings on stuff. Looks like it
was mostly about the hotel that was close here that was understaffed,
rooms weren't getting cleaned, etc.. I went by there & heard the front
desk tell people they didin't have rides to the airport cause they didn't
have enought shuttle buses. Hhhmmmm. Ever heard of rental vans ?
Thought to myself, "hhhmmm, maybe I could take off sunday, & earn some of
my money back".
  BBQ friday night received its fair share of criticism too. They ran
out of food, & nobody, nobody wanted to sit out in the hot sun & eat.
Fortunatley the tables we set up in the shade were tolerable. Later
discusion the next day also revealed something none of us local members
knew either. Seems our local memeber who also is a member of the
National was insistent about handling the BBQ. Now we find out he gave
the contract for it to his son. Hhhhmmmmm.
  The National girls finally cornered me after I had sold a field desk (a
fella outside had complete ones with stools for $90) for $50 & demanded I
finally join the MVPA. Ok, Ok.
  My daughter had been shopping for medical stuff to make herself a nurse
with her M170. A vendor said he'd give her a pin if I put him down as
the reccomender (?), so I filled out the paperwork & turned it in.
Sheesh, I thought they were gonna make an announcement to the pubic about
it, the way they were all slapping each other on the back, & high
five-ing back there. Guess I really spread happiness every where I go.
Well except to the X wife.
  We closed down the areas at 5 PM. Made pelnty of announcements to that
effect. Most complied, some complained they didn't know. Most moved out
about 4-5. One fella was really bent outa shape about it, threatening to
break down the door if we didn't let him move his stuff. Other vendors
said he had been a pain all weekend anyways. At the risk of alienating
everyone, we let him in late & my 11 year old daughter & one other guy
moved him out. He was by himself too. Figures. Took us an extra 45
minutes. We even packed his truck for him. Oh well, that extra mile.
  Course I think I did the best thing. We had had special shirts made up
for our members that worked that had a different logo on the front. A
little older lady cornered me in the BBQ line on friday night & asked me
for one. I checked sat. morn & we had none left. Told her sorry. She
was soooooo dissapointed. Well I told her, I'll get another shirt form
one of my guys & give thisone to her. Turns out, my guys didn't have
anything. Bought a shirt form the Tulsa OK. bunch from the BEAUTIFUL
blonde there (if you were there,you know who I'm talking about). Paid
$10 for it (nice shirt by the way) & the little older gal reimbursed me
for it so she could have my shirt. Now hows about that ? Selling the
shirt off your back for the customer. How many of you can say you did
that ?
  Well I heard later that the banquet food was bad that night too. Most
of the last people moved out of the center that early morn. We kicked
out the last one about 1230 sunday.
  Overall seems we, as the local, did a good job. One comment about the
small place. We did have some vehicles & stuff outside butmost come
inside out of the heat. I believe members from '93 said it was a smaller
event so we didn't have any way of knowing how much bigger it would be.
Guessed on the light side. Sorry
  Man, I dragged this out, eh ? Sorry.
  To all the list members I met there, it was a pleasure. Hope you did
good here, & had a pleasant ride home. Hopefully willl see you at a
future event.
  PLEASE, if you have ANY feedback on the event, let me know I WILL bring
it up at our next meeting. We wanted to do good,so let us know good or
bad. Thanks, Steve

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.