24V to 12V

From: Tom Chism (tchism@terraworld.net)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 21:52:26 PDT

This subject was covered well. But I can't resist my $0.02 worth. I
installed a commercial two-way radio in a 24 volt hydraulic excavator by
simply tapping one of the batteries. However the operators would forget to
turn the radio off and after a few days the one battery would be dead. No
problem, jump the one dead battery with a 12 volt vehicle. But the radio
would blow the fuse. Next time I turned the radio off before jumping (should
have done this the first time). The radio fuse still blew with the radio
off. After fighting this for a year and killing the battery that the radio
used, I installed a converter. The converter works great and is wired to the
engine switch to "idiot proof" it. No more dead batteries, no more risk of
ruining a $500.00 US radio.

A converter is the best way to go.

I enjoyed the KC convention, spent lots of $$, brought home lots of goodies.
Good job!!!