Re: [MV] (MV) M-1009 Alternator

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@lynx.bc.ca)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 07:49:41 PDT

At 12:01 AM 8/14/00 -0700, Ernie Kleckner wrote:
>Howdy Listers, does any one out there have the Delco- Remy # for the
>passenger side alternator in a 84" M-1009 Blazer. Thank you for your help.
>Ernie

Found out a few things playing with these. In the parts books, the
alternators
appear to be the same part number, and when you feed that number to your
local NAPA or similar jobber auto-parts retailer, you do in fact come up
with an almost identical 12V 100A alternator which looks like an exact
replacement.
Almost, but not quite.

The alternator you are likely to obtain from NAPA/UAP or similar will work
fine
on the 12V side of your CUCV, but have a very good look at the rear cover of
your alternator on the 24V side, and compare it to your replacement.
You'll notice
that one of the wire mounting studs on the back of the original is mounted
in such
a way that it is insulated from the surrounding metal ('ground'), where the
replacement unit will invariably have the stud mounted directly to the
housing (being
grounded anyway in a normal installation, right?)

You can modify the replacement alternator by yarding the cover off of your
defunct
take-out alternator and copying the mounting of the regulator inside -
borrowing the
stud and insulator from the take-out one if you like (and you'll usually
have to
drill the mounting hole out a bit to accomodate the insulator.)

For the electrically challenged, the best way to visualize the setup is to
pretend
you're the alternator, and that you just "add 12V to whatever you see". If
you see 'ground' at that terminal we spoke of, you'll 'add 12V', and the
output
at the other terminal will be 12V. If you 'see' 12V at that same terminal
and 'add 12', the output will be 24V. 'Course, if your terminal is
body-grounded
and you 'add 12V', you'll have quite the light show - hence the need for the
modification detailed.

Andy Hill
MVPA #9211
(who had 'quite the light show' before noticing the difference himself!)