Australian lister seeks MV sights in Eastern USA / also VP Day.

From: the Starks (starkers@bigpond.com)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 15:01:23 PDT

Fellow listers,
I will shortly be visiting Washington DC, with a few days
free with a car. What are the must-see WW2 soft top sights or
museums? Quarter ton 4X4 and Dodge half ton are my particular
interests, especially comparisons of variants, prototypes
etc.
I await your suggestions with great interest.

Victory-in-the-Pacific Day (55th anniversary) has now finished
here. I had the honour of attending the Dedication and
'roll-out' of Australia's sole surviving B24 Liberator (out of 280
of these winged MVs). This followed 250,000 hours of entirely
voluntary restoration work. Much yet to complete, but too many
of the veterans were passing away to delay the Dedication
further. A very large number of veterans of B24 squadrons
attended, including some from the USA. Many teary eyes. It was
a very moving way to celebrate the anniversary of WW2's end. See
http://www.abc.net.au/news/state/vic/metvic-15aug2000-24.htm
(this is a short lived news file)
Australian listers can watch the documentary on ABCTV
'Australian Story' on Thursday 16th.

As this significant day passes elsewhere around the globe,
spare a thought for those who served and those who died in
that wasteful conflict so we can be free to enjoy our
chosen interests.

Allan Stark