Reply to David

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 22:18:32 PDT

Dave,
Rumor is that some states are supplementing their CMV programs with civilian
inspectors, which I personally think is a worthwhile endeavor (not that my
opinion counts for anything but I took three unsafe trucks off the road
today so I'll put my two bits in.) Go to your browser and search using
"federal motor carrier safety administration" and/or "national highway
traffic safety administration" or "motor carrier safety assistance program"
for starters and I would suggest making some inquiries through your State
Police or perhaps the Ohio State Highway Patrol if youdon't mind a little
change of scenery. My certification came through San Antonio Police but is
a program run entirely under the Department of Public Safety (Texas DPS). I
am formerly an Ohio State Trooper and when I left there this program wasn't
even a gleam in anyone's eye though at that time our roving vehicle
inspection & weight team was civilians in the company of a Trooper. My
guess is that Ohio might have naturally progressed in the direction of
utilizing civilian CMV inspectors.
TJ