John & Howard

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 22:44:21 PDT

Guys,
I did my deal with Bruce......bought a new 12,000 GVWR trailer just to haul
it back as none could be rented or borrowed (dagnabbit!). Boy that was the
trip nice, though! Glad I went before the whole place burned down. I
brought my two best buddies along and we went to HELENA AND BACK.... :-)
The only glitch in the trip was when my pal tried to burn up our brakes
descending the Great Divide but that's another story. Bruce reportedly
bought Hayes's Scouts but they remained at Haye's place. Bruce had a Scout
cab-chassis (where in the HECK did all that rear armor GO?!?) in his
driveway when I was there that was formerly converted into a wrecker of all
things. Of course the frame bent cause Scouts just ain't meant for that
kinda service. Some goof welded in solid struts between the frame rail and
back axle tubes to compensate so it was a solid suspension (or no
suspension) vehicle. A cryin' shame. Aaaaaaaanyway.....just after I
committed to this first Scout and the trip up, another much better Scout
surfaced in North Texas in my own freakin back yard practically! (Ain't
this the way it ALWAYS happens?) Well, I checked it out on the way up and
bought it too but don't make me out to be some kinda hotshot moneybags cause
I just got lucky and happened to have the extra dough on hand at the time.
So, the upshot of the whole deal is my Greek Scout from Bruce has been
relegated to parts donor status and my Texas Scout is the one I'm going to
restore. Luckily the hatchet man on the Greek Scout never got to the engine
or drivetrain and Bruce provided what replacement armor panels he could, God
bless him. For those of you who intend to trek up there, there is a nice
truck stop a few miles down the road from Hayes's place. They got lotsa
straps and binders etc if you find you need anything along those lines plus
a pretty good restaurant. Also, there are several wrecker services in the
area if you need any assistance in loading something. If Bruce allows you
to pick over the bones of those Scouts in the weeds I recommend you prepare
yourself for struggling with those rusted armor bolts. A torch is almost
mandatory. Trust me on that cause I have, quite literally, been there and
done that!
TJ