Re: [MV] Balls (YAK)

From: Renaud OLGIATI (rolgiati@bigfoot.com)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 12:01:03 PDT

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Mike wrote:

> The hitch you refer to is available from France. We have/had them in stock.
> However not much use to the Damn Yankees who have 2" balls as opposed to our
> own 50mm. Possibly one of the first metrified artefacts in this country?

I you want a car acessory that was always metric, look at the spark-plugs:
were metric from the start (and AFAIK were never made in heathenish
dimensions)

And all for a simple reason: when they first appeared, they were made
in France and British motor manufacturers who wanted to use them had to
get them from there, and if they wanted to use them they jolly well had to
drill and tap their engine heads to suit the thread of the spark-plug.

So even the Brits got used to the metric spark-plugs, and as that hole in
the engine head was never used for anything else, the metric size stuck, and
even spread to the furthest reaches of un-metric heathendom ;-).

Cheers,

Ron the Frog, on the banks of the Paraguay River.

--

                        Learn from your parents mistakes
                               use birth control

              ---  http://personales.conexion.com.py/~rolgiati  ---