Re: [MV] Overwidth Problem

From: TacticalTruck@aol.com
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 05:24:22 PDT

In a message dated 8/17/00 3:01:42 AM, PUSkunk@aol.com writes:

>110" across the
Are you sure that's not 110" vertically?

I can't believe a 2.5 or 5 ton is over width when I've hauled them on a
standard flat bed tractor/trailer more times than I can count (thru NY even)
and they don't over hang the edge of the bed. No carrier I've delt with
required anything special. Also, on the ten ton, if you remove the outer
duals it can be hauled w/o special permits. I have a friend here in Virgina
w/ a M123 (10 ton tractor) with commercial plates. He was told by the state
police (don't take this as gospel, you'll get a different answer from each
person you ask)
that it's the load not the truck that makes it over width. He runs the thing
all over the place and hasn't been stopped. I awarded him the supreme iron
butt award when he drove it from Virginia to Vermont (must have gone through
NY) hooked to a M125, 10 ton cargo, and towed it to Kentucky and then came
back to Virginia. He was stopped only once at a weight station in Ohio. They
set up two cones for him to drive through which he did w/o hitting either and
they told him to have a nice day.
Jeff
TacticalTruck.com