Re: [MV] self exciting alternators

From: Jeanne Lacourse (cckw@mediaone.net)
Date: Sat Aug 19 2000 - 19:30:04 PDT

Most (80-90%) of the GM alternators made in the 70's (the physically bigger
ones of 35-60 amps) will work just fine as one wire alternators. The main
difference is that you will need about 2000 rpms to get them to start
initially. I have three HM vehicles with them...

A master disonnect switch will prevent the dead battery. Running an
automotive battery flat time after time is not good.

Steve AKA Dr Deuce