RE: [MV] Spence Demil bill Update? THIS IS NOT A SMART IDEA!!!

From: Kelly, Robert (Robert_Kelly@FCEINC.COM)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 06:30:36 PDT

I whole heartedly agree with Mr. Hebding's e-mail regarding inflammatory
statements along the lines of "they will pry them from my cold dead hands".

I am also an NRA member that cringes everytime the senior leadership of that
organizations says things like that.

It just makes you look ignorant and inflexible (even if you aren't) and also
reflects upon my character, simply because I too choose to like historically
interesting weapons and equipment. It gives "the other side" more ammunition
for their arguments. It helps them feel more superior, better educated,
sophisticated and enlightened.

Whenever someone approaches you about your vehicles/guns/uniforms/equipment
in a negative fashion, remember that most folks have never been exposed to
this stuff, do not have any appreciation for its historical significance and
have been more consistently influenced by the media than they have by
reality. It is up to people like us to educate and inform people so that
even if they aren't out there lobbying for us, they are not out there
against us.

Just a few offhanded comment like "I'm a gonna put ma guns on ma halftrack
and just start a' shootin' if'n they come to take it away" and you've just
reinforced the "opposition's" case that people who own HMVs are unstable and
should not have them in the first place.

Please think before you open your mouths or put a finger to the keyboard. I
don't remember the guy's name who sent the original e-mail with the
halftrack comment, but I apologize to you if you feel like you've been
singled out. You have only been used as an example.

Thanks,

Bob K.
'42 GPW
'44 M1 Carbine
'52 M1 Garand
'42 M1903A3 Springfield
'43 KAR 98
and a few civilian items that I am not willing to part with, either.