From MVPA (HR-4205)

From: Enterprise B&B/Cayman Islands, BWI (Enterprise@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 06:06:56 PDT

Talk about the runaround.

In my last post I told you how I tried to find out from Spence's office his
reasoning behind HR-4205. I just wanted to know what national interest he
feels the demil portion of the bill will support. As I told you, the last
person I was referred to was Lee Holland. Well, little did I know Mr.
Holland is a big-wig in the MVPA but I know that now thanks to another list
member. So I want to the MVPA site and found the below which is
interesting but really says nothing, nada, zilch, zero.

While I do want to know what's going on w/this bill, I also want to know
why the demil portion was introduced and I don't think Mr. Holland can tell
me that unless he is privy to the inner workings of the mind of Mr. Spence.

I notice the P.R. from MVPA says it has people working on the matter who
know the inner workings of these kind of matters and we should trust the
MVPA in the approach it is taking (how about telling us what the approach
is). OK, I'm all for this however as with Spence, I would like details,
not generalities. I know the innter workings on these matters also, ie: Get
your lobby/payoff to the right people, use influence, maybe a trip to Las
Vegas for a committee member or three to see some historic MVs (and some
not so historic ladies), etc. How about "our" association giving us some
DETAILS and SPECIFICS? Those who hang back and are willing to sit on their
bumms and "Let George do it" and trust others with their freedoms and
rights will have no room for complaint if things don't go the way they want
them. So let's each and every one of us ask Mr. Holland for specifics in
e-mail.

Lord save me from my Government.

My 2mm worth (I think that's about 6mm today)

===============================FROM THE MVPA HOME
PAGE=========================

                  TO MY FELLOW MVPA MEMBERS

                  Our Association and other groups with similar historic
military interests are once again being challenged by the origin of our
affection. Over the last several weeks there has been a great deal of
speculation and discussion in many forums regarding the House of
Representatives Bill 4205, (Floyd D. Spence National
Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2001) SEC 361, (Authority to Ensure
Demilitarization of Significant Military Equipment formerly owned by the
Department of Defense).

 Please read the attached proposed legislation carefully, several times. The
 current wording can be interpreted many different ways. If this
legislation is
 ultimately signed into law the subsequent application would be of grave
concern
 to our association. You must keep in mind that HR4205 is the House of
 Representatives' legislation and there is an equivalent proposed
legislation on
 the Senate side known as S2549 (National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal
 Year 2001). Currently the Senate version does not contain a provision
similar to
 HR4205, SEC361. Both legislative items provide the funding for the Department
 of Defense for fiscal year 2001. Ultimately there will be one piece of
legislation,
 approved by both houses, which will go to the President for signature to
become
 law.

 I can assure you the leadership of the MVPA is diligently addressing this
issue.
 Your Association is well represented by outstanding individuals who know the
 inner workings dealing with these types of matters. At this time I would
ask that
 you place your trust and confidence in the approach we are taking. We have
the
 right people in the right place with the right contacts.
 Here are the facts as they are known to us at this time:

  HR4205 was passed by the House of Representative on 18 May 2000 S2549 was
passed by the Senate on 13 July 2000 Referred to Conference Committee on 26
July 2000 Currently the majority of the legislators are on Summer
vacation, Conference Committee work is not scheduled to resume until 5
September 2000

 I will update you on this issue as events warrant. Thank you for your
support and
 Serving the membership for the betterment of our Association.

                  Lee Holland
                  MVPA President