I M M E D//N05760/N05860//MVPA LEGISLATIVE ACTION

From: Rayfield, Robert S Jr Mr DUSA-IA/ANTEON (RayfieldRS@hqda.army.mil)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 11:09:34 PDT

I M M E D I A T E INSURE WIDEST DISSEMINATION TO ALCON

FOR ALL HANDS:

1. Just got off the phone with Mr. Lee Holland, President, MVPA. We spoke
of three issues:
        a. HR-4205
        b. BATF and Form 6
        c. Dissemination via the mil-veh list-net
        d. Membership

2. The fol pertains to HR-4205:

        a. HR-4205 is named the "Floyd D. Spence National Defense
Authroization Act" by the House of Representatives in honor of his imminent
retirement; there is nothing more he has to do with this bill.
        b. The Senate equivalent is S-2579
        c. Both bills have passed their respective chambers (HR on 18 May,
Senate 13 Jul) and because of differing language in each, has been refered
to conference (compromise between HASC and SASC
        d. The committee will not take it up until after the current recess
ends 5 Sep
        e. It has not been signed into law
        f. It was NOT sponsored by Floyd Spence, his only connection is it
is named in his honor
        g. Origins of bill has not been determined, but it APPEARS that it
MIGHT be someone from within the Department of the Army who's agenda is to
prevent the release of specific items of MDE/SME to the public, like full up
attack helicopters or those computers with classified info on them - there
have been several incidents that could have very well been the catalyst for
someone to instigate such action that has obviously gotten out-of-hand.
        h. The language was written accordingly, but in top-level, broad
brush format which encompasses entirely more than intended
        i. The MVPA has retained a professional, multi-faceted legal team
in Washington specializing in this type of thing that will try to get to the
bottom of this and will report their findings back to Lee Holland.
        j. The identity of the legal team will not be disclosed to preclude
compromise of their mission and methods.
        k. DO NOT WRITE YOUR REPRESENTATIVE AT THIS TIME - RED STAR CLUSTER
                (1) Most reps or senators are not currently familiar with
HR-4205 or S-2549
                (2) Let the legal team handle until they tell Lee Holland
that they need help, at which time if it is desired, Lee Holland will ask us
to write our reps via the MVPA web site (Green Star CLuster).
        l. Lee Holland feels confident in the MVPA's stance on this, and
acknowledged that he is not just doing it for MVPA but is trying to rep the
entire hobby of mil veh enthusiasts on this.
        m. KEEP CHECKING THE MVPA web site for updates.

3. The fol pertains to dealings with BATF and DoS regarding Form 6
applications:

        a. This is an active issue
        b. Lee Holland has a meeting sked with DoS and BATF on 13 Sep 00 to
address this issue
        c. Results to fol on MVPA web site under "News."

4. The fol pertains to dissemination via mil-veh list:

        a. Lee Holland as Pres of the MVPA feels that it is inappropriate
for him to take advantage of something that was set up for individuals, and
not for the use of the MVPA as an institution
        b. Lee Holland will continue to publish his findings, reports on
all matters on the MVPA web site, under "News" - to include updates on
HR-4205/S-2579 and the BATF/DoS Form 6 controversy.

5. Membership: It would be REALLY NICE if everyone who has been
enthusiastic in expressing their opinion would JOIN the MVPA [www.mvpa.org].
This would help the cause. I believe that Lee Holland is doing everything
he can do and then some inspite of having a "day-job." Talking with him was
good - he is very knowledgeable, focused and professional, and has taken
time off from his day job in the Army to tackle this on our behalves on HIS
TIME. Let's get behind him and the association that will help all of us by

        a. Joining the MVPA
        b. Awaiting further rudder orders from Lee Holland on what the
legal team in Wash DC detms that needs to be done
        c. No flames or spitfire messages to anyone, be calm and civil
about this; do NOT write your rep YET - STANDBY
        d. No more whining about what Lee Holland is/isn't doing because he
is there in the trenchs doing "it", we are not:
                (1) he is going to Wash
                (2) he got the MVPA to assemble and PAY for a legal team
                (3) and he is taking time off to do this on OUR BEHALF.
                (4) Lets support him - ask how you can help.

JOIN UP, this legal team is costing money lobbying for everyone who is a
historical military vehicle enthusiast, not just dues- paying members of the
MVPA.

R. S. Rayfield, Jr.
Major USMC (Ret)