Re: [MV] Overwidth Problem

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 23:00:11 PDT

Everette,
(by the way, this is not a flame but I see an opportunity to point something
out that should be obviouse to most folks but probably ain't)

I acknowledge that in your letter you have made no claim for any states
other than your experiences in KY and TN....however you may be doing some
other readers a disservice by failing to point that out.

For example, here in Texas, the need for a CDL (or no CDL) is based on Gross
Vehicle Weight Ratings or Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings....nothing
more....in fact, wether the vehicle is "in commerce" (or not) has nothing
whatsoever to do with driver's license law and the requirement for a CDL.
This is where the term "commercial" is most misleading as, in this instance,
it refers to a class of vehicle, rather than whether or not the vehicle is
being operated "in commerce." So a guy operating an RV that qualifies for
CDL (under Texas law), must have a CDL to drive it. (I will not confuse the
issue by discussing what he is exempt from under those circumstances cause
that is another set of laws.) Oh, and another thing....I have seen more
MISINFORMATION about CDL's and max vehicle dimensions handed out by police
officers than I care to admit, since I am a police officer myself!

Also, here in Texas and in some other states, permits for extradimensional
vehicles or loads may be purchased for single trips or for a period of time
(a lot of factors come into play here) but take for example a crane company
that moves its equipment from job to job ALL the time. This is an example
of types of companies (could also be individuals) that take advantage of a
permit that lasts for, say, a year.

The point I am trying to make has nothing to do with Texas laws, by the
way.... I am merely trying to point out that those of us who participate in
this list are all very anxious to help others by passing on our knowledge
and experiences to others.......... but as we receive this information from
others we all must be very careful to check what the laws are WHERE WE
INTEND TO OPERATE our mil-vehs! And with that in mind, you can usually find
quite a bit of information by going to your browser and typing in the name
of the state you are making an inquiry of plus something like "department of
transportation" or "traffic laws" or "driver's license laws" or something to
that effect. Or BETTER YET.....go to the source and make your inquiry
with the governmental office that handles the stuff you want to find out
about. Oh, and get the name of the person you spoke to.....just in
case...and.....double check EVERYTHING.

Oh and another thing, I have seen more misinformation about CDL's and max
vehicle dimensions handed out by police officers than I care to
admit.....expecially since I am a police officer myself!

My best regards to all,
TJ Smith