Re: [MV] Overwidth Problem

From: Eric Kozowski (eric@svjava.com)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2000 - 12:03:58 PDT

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 10:59:44AM -0500, John Hutterer wrote:
> I'm driving an M916 (Freightliner) tractor, hauling a 40 ton lowboy to New
> York, and back, in the month and I know that we need permits because we are
> over width at 10'6". We already have the permits approved. This is, of
> course, a US Army vehicle.

Boy, things sure have changed in the last 8 years. When I
was in the USMC, we never stopped at weigh stations, we ran
overwidth without permits (LVS w/ an M870 trailer with a D7
onboard) and overweight without permits (two D7s on an M870
trailer).

Of course, when I was getting out, the Army had recently
changed their regs on transporting explosives. At Ft.
Lewis, you had to have a police escort on base and off base
when transporting explosives. The USMC didn't have any
such regs, so when we picked up explosives from Ft. Lewis
we just had the MPs escort us off base. Once on I-5 we
were on our own.

--
Eric Kozowski
Portland, OR