To Ask or Not To Ask

From: Gil Huguley (Gil@huguley.com)
Date: Sat Aug 26 2000 - 07:35:14 PDT

Robin & list:
I think most of us can see that there are definitely two sides to the question. On the one hand I want to be squeaky-clean legal in all operations in the HMV hobby, because any infraction reflects badly on us as a group and gives our detractors a feeling of righteous justification. On the other hand I want to do things MY way, and the consequences be damned! Remember the line "I'm mad as hell and I ain't gonna take it anymore!" I sometimes feel that way. Our society has strayed so far from a logical, moral, democratic ideal it really is hard to take it anymore.

I admire those who are willing to "push the envelope" as long as it does not cause the rest of us problems. If we push it and make it appear that we are a bunch of militant kooks, than that's too much. My M37 is licensed and insured as a 1953 Dodge 3/4 ton M37 Pickup Truck. Well, isn't that what it IS? I will happily drive it on the public roads without displaying the tags. I don't think I will be asked about it in the rural area in which I live. I DO have the papers, plates & tabs on board if anybody asks.

I would think that if we want to push the envelope but are prepared to suffer the consequences when we run across the lawman who is having a crappy day, then DOn't waIT, DO IT! Just remember to be polite and contrite when you get stopped. That works a lot better than trying to throw your weight around.
--Voice of experience, school of hard knocks!--

Regards to all,
Gil