Re: [MV] Mystery Jeep Trailers

From: Hanno Spoelstra (HL.Spoelstra@inter.NL.net)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 04:02:49 PDT

At 11:56 27-08-2000 +0200, Maurizio Beretta wrote:
>there is a french book ( "JEEPS" I think, but I can be more accurate
>tonight, when back home..) that picture trailers copies: all of them have
>significant differences from the original.
>
>I can send you JPG from the book, if you like..
>
>the only european copy that's ALMOST like the original is the german one.
>
>BUT...we are not talking about a COPY: mine seems an ORIGINAL one, "Willys"
>brand, BUT built in Italy, and built in 1960 too!!!!
>

>I guess that the only way to konw the true, is to find the CONTRACT
>(reported on the data plate) references !!!

I have looked up the article 'Jeep Trailers' in Wheels & Tracks magazine
issue no. 32.
Willys-Overland produced nearly 60,000 of their Model T3 trailers, American
Bantam produced 73,569 of their Model MB-T trailers. Next to these two major
manufacturers, there were at least ten co-producers. Bantam continued
producing them until well after the war, for military and civil purposes
(hinged tailgate). There is no mention of Willys producing any after the
war. The article mentions Contract and USA registration numbers.
The main difference between the Bantam T3 and the Willys MB-T was that the
T3 had Gabriel shock absorbers, attached with nuts; the MB-T had Monroe
units, attached with cotter pins. The original T3 also had three rather than
four frame cross members. Other differences were minor and of no importance.
After WW2 replica models were made in France (Genève, Hotchkiss, Million
Guiet and Tubanto), the Netherlands (Pennock, Polynorm, Roset; all virtually
identical) Switzerland (Langenthal, Reber), etc. They all looked alike but
differed from the original in many details. In due course the modifications
and interchange of parts on all these look-alikes has become a nightmare for
the collectors world.

Regards,
Hanno Spoelstra