Re: [MV] Fw: Synthetic oil, what the...?!

From: Steven P. Allen (spallen@rolemail.ccis.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 06:35:34 PDT

At 05:42 PM 8/28/00 -0700, mblair1@home.net wrote:

> I certainly am not equipped to perform
>the kind of rigorous technical evaluation that is necessary to
>determine if a different oil would reduce wear in my particular model
>of engine.

Few of us are, but there are companies that specialize in testing oil drawn
from an engine to determine its health (and therefore indirectly the
effectiveness of its lubrication, among othere things). You buy a kit that
includes the bottle to ship it to the company in, and they send you a
report. Last I heard, the service was less than $20.

The military performs this kind of test all the time--when changing the oil
in a ship's "transmission" means buying 600 GALLONS (and disposing of an
equal amount of used) oil, you don't change it anymore than necessary.

The test won't answer every question, but it should at least tell you if
what you ARE doing is working.

Steve Allen