Re: [MV] Fw: Synthetic oil, what the...?!

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@lynx.bc.ca)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 10:32:32 PDT

At 05:42 PM 8/28/00 -0700, mblair1@home.net wrote:

>"Eugene PANTANO" <snoshu@market1.com> wrote:
>> Name brand oils are fine..always have and always will be...BUT...what sort
>> of lubricants do they use in aircraft ??? Where the best possible
>> lubrication is a life or death situation..?? Hmmm...synthetic of course.
>
>determine if a different oil would reduce wear in my particular model
>of engine. Maybe Mobil 1 is better in my LDT-465-1C or DDA 6.2l
>diesel, or maybe it's worse, but SAE 30 is definitely adequate for
>both of them in my climate.

Reminds me of a question I've always been meaning to ask someone
knowledgeable:

If the specs. on my CUCV's and my M151A2 both call for "SAE 30", why then
did the U.S. Military stencil "15 W 40 ONLY" on these engines, and from
bases as disparate as Malmstrom AFB, Great Falls MO and Camp Withycombe
ARNG, OR.?

Andy Hill
MVPA #9211
Vancouver, B.C. (who's stuck with the 15-40, by the way)