Re: [MV] Good P.R.

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@lynx.bc.ca)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 10:12:05 PDT

At 04:00 PM 8/27/00 -0700, ygmir wrote:
>Hi all,
>Well, I think I've found a way to use my deuce and also help us "collectors"
>with good work.
>I used my M35A2 today to deliver and set a tombstone at a cemetery for a
>Vietnam Vet. (my business is stonecutting and tombstones).
>His friends asked for something special, and I helped as I could.
>They made a procession through town on motorcycles, American flags waving
>off each one. I followed with the "deuce" and was then followed by the civvy
>vehicles of others.
>It made his friends (he had no family that any knew of), feel good to give
>him a special send off, and, I think helped some people realize us "MVers"
>are ok.
>It seems if we could do things like that, folks would realize we're just
>normal (?) people with a hobby.
>I also think if we shared stories like this on the "list", those who "lurk"
>looking for info would find positive examples of us and our "toys".
>That's all.
>Just thought I'd share it with you and any who are interested.
>Henry

Our chapter of the MVPA, the "Western Command Military Vehicle
Historical Society", supports many events both privately and
publicly organized, often in the complete absence of any 'official'
representation by our military, and/or those publicly funded
institutions whose supposed mandate is to stimulate interest
in Canadian history.

I've personally been part of many such events, but the one that
sticks out at the moment is the first "Liberation of Holland" festival
and parade I attended as part of our club in the Dutch border community
of Lynden, WA.

Our government's participation was limited to one provincial politician
of Dutch lineage and the loan of a 25 pdr. and limber from one of the
local units. The rest of the proceedings were a combination of local
civic organizations, a large Legion presence from both countries, about
a dozen of our club vehicles ranging from GPW's and CMP's to
M-series, and a contingent of the Western Warbirds flying Harvard/Texan
trainers and Chipmunks.

This was by no means my first parade, but the citizens of Lynden in 1989,
and many visitors from north of the 49th, greeted our MV contingent
with all the enthusiasm and appreciation of the citizens of Holland as
their towns and cities were freed from Hitler's grasp one by one. One of
our members, the late Pat Smith - a veteran of the Normandy landings - handed
out candies to the young ones just as our soldiers did some 45-odd years
before.

The effect was not lost on the veterans, a few of which elected to ride along
in period vehicles with our members. My second vehicle in the parade, driven
by a friend, had as a passenger a retired RCMP member with longtime service
to that Canadian institution, and previous service with the Canadian Army in
the Second War. This fellow was basically silent throughout the entire
parade, as reported by my fellow driver, until the parade ended, and
this fellow, teary-eyed, pinned his RCMP long-service decoration on the
collar of my friend, and shook his hand before departing without a word.

I've been part of many such events since I took up the hobby around 1984.
I don't regret a minute of it, and it is painfully obvious to me that those
who would push for any sort of legislation that may endanger events such as
I've
described above have obviously never witnessed any of them.

In Canada, our club, our hobby, and by extension Militaria collectors of
all shapes
and sizes take on the mantle of preserving Canadian military history where
our Government increasingly fails. Public attendance at Remembrance Day
events has _increased_ every year for over a decade - and our Government
responds by allowing such things as the sinking of our sole surviving
'Liberty
Ship' by way of acknowledgement.

Andy Hill
MVPA #9211