Re: [MV] Fw: Synthetic oil, what the...?!

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 23:45:39 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eugene PANTANO" <snoshu@market1.com>
To: "Military Vehicles List" <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2000 8:11 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Fw: Synthetic oil, what the...?!

> Because the Army determined as we all know...that straight weight
> oils..30 -- 40 --etc... have a lot of paraffin in them....it tends to clog
> engines with sludge...

Hmmmm, pre April 1942 perhaps when the change came to detergent SAE 30,
called H.D. 30 at the time although the older engines were necessarily
designed to accommodate sludge.

Not a lot wrong with newer SAE 30's especially MIL 2104 C/D stuff (B spec
was around in the 50's), most 50's - 70's UK MVs specifically use it not
only in the engines but in the gearboxes too, including those in some large
trucks, even the oil companies will not promote their latest, much hyped,
multigrade glug for these duties as it is quickly destroyed to base stock
becoming typically like a straight 20.

There is some evidence now that modern multigrades are partly made by extra
refining rather than the earlier procedure of simply using gross amounts of
additives which in a designed oil-burner (read some specific, continuously
rated, MV engines) makes serious amounts of piston ring destroying metallic
ash, also see what DDA have to say about multigrades in their two-cycle

Richard
Southampton - England