Re: [MV] 1009 Blazer top speed

From: Jim Rice (majrice@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 09:36:44 PDT

I have been in a HMMWV doing 70 mph. While a battery commander in Germany,
we had a short break between our Grafenwohr and Hohenfels (sorry to use such
terrible language on the list <grin>)rotations. Three of my Lieutenants and
I drove from Hohenfels to Baumholder and back to Grafenwohr as single
vehicle (ie, not part of a 40mph convoy). I know that for much of the trip,
the 60 mph speedometer was pegged. Based upon the traffic flow on the
autobahn and the amount of trucks we were passing, I know we were easily in
excess of 65-70. We made the trip of 200+ miles in well under 4 hours and
we had to stop and dump jerry cans into the tank as well as empty ours.

Knowing we were going to undertake this drive, I had my motor sergeant
attempt to balance the wheels/tires on my vehicle.....it didn't help much.
It still shook/vibrated at high speed.

BTW, don't tell anyone! I'd hate to get in trouble 10 years after the fact!
:)

Jim