Re: [MV] More on HR4205.....Thank you EAA!

From: Steven P. Allen (spallen@rolemail.ccis.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 10:42:23 PDT

Actually, it concerns some chemicals, among other things, that may be of
broader interest.

Many model train locomotives have little "stoves" in them that heat an oil
(not burn it, but heat it to vaporization) which "puffs" out the stack to
simulate smoke. Apparently, this process is under scrutiny as a pollutant.

The postwar Lionels used solid pellets of a purified industrial wax. An
acquaintance of mine was going to reproduce these pellets, as originals are
getting hard (and expensive!) to come by, not having been made in 30 years.
He was stopped in his tracks by the liability issues attached to new EPA and
CPSC rules. His lawyers not only told him not to bother commercially but
not even to produce any for his OWN use. Can't have little kiddies come
along and eat a bottle, dontcha know.

In plastic modelling, an innovation has been resin casting of short-run kits
of odd subjects (say, a particular M-37 variant rather than yet another
Sherman tank or Tiger). These basement manufacturers are coming under
similar scrutiny.

The swastika controversy has been taken to a new plane with respect to
figure models. Many companies--mostly Asian--have made large-sacle figures
and busts popular modelling subjects (exercises in painting, really, but I
digress). Many of these figures are well-known officers, including such
up-standing (sarcasm) figures as Gruppenfuehrer Peiper, Reichsfuehrer
Himmler, and the like.

In the old tractor hobby, environmental issues loom, mostly related to lube,
fuels, and paints, issues familiar to HMV restorers. OSHA and other safety
groups are also becoming involved.

This is not an exhaustive list, but it does illustrate how even the mostly
seemingly harmeless activity is coming under scrutiny.

Alas.

Steve Allen