"what's in a name ?"

From: Maurizio Beretta (pierino@tin.it)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 12:09:11 PDT

Today I starded an ugly job..

I have a lot of old Saturday Evening Post, from which I got the WWII Willys
advertising campaign (collection completed ;-))).

I started to dismantle the magazines, in order to sell advertisements
singularly (Texaco, GMC, Camel, etc.)

On the '41 dec 13th number, I've found an interesting "RailWay Express" ad;
the caption says: <<He's "jeep" around the camp...but on the payroll he's
private James Smith, U.S.A.>>

"private James Smith, like thousands of his fellow recruits, has more than
one name these days. He's called "jeep" around the camp, "Yardbird" by the
tough Top Sergeant, just "Jimmy" by his sweetheart, and on the payroll he
is listed as private James Smith, U.S. Army. Wheatever you call him, he is
one of the world's finest fighting men-the kind of soldier the nation
proudly depends on in any emergency..."

the picture, 3 men, a private, a sergeant and an officer..

interesting cartoon about the jeep name birth !!!...

by the way, I've found also a LIFE article related to Salerno battle, many
pages of text and pictures, with jeeps and trucks landing on beaches from
LSTs and LCVPs : jeeps have an high tube for exhaust pipe in high water.
if somebody is interested, I can send it for 10$.

ciao

maurizio
 | | Maurizio BERETTA mailto:pierino@tin.it
/_/()||||()\_\ http://members.xoom.com/pierino
|_\ o||||o /_| Chiasso, 11
|----JeeP----| I - Milan 20155 ICQ # 8438805
|_| |_| ph. + 39 023270228 fax + 39 023270228