Truth or Scam?

From: John Hutterer (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 06:02:54 PDT

List,

I have received two postings like this now, and I thought that I would pass
one on to the List, just in case anybody actually wants to try to follow up
on it. As I read it, this gentleman (and his father, as mentioned in an
earlier post) are trying to buy surplus HMMWVs from the Australian Army. I
didn't even realize that Australia used the HMMWV, but I can't claim much
knowledge of non-US military equipment. Anyway, it seems that he is able to
buy these HMMWVs, but only in quantity, and only with 50% cash up front. I
assume that they are located in Australia and it would be your
responsibility to figure out how you would get one to your home country.
Sounds a little strange to me. If he claimed that they were still in the
crate, I might find it more believable. :) Anyway, here it is, if anyone is
interested.

John

If any one really wants a HMMWV (Hummer) I can get one for you. There is
available to us, 5 or 6 excellent HMMWV with about 20000 miles on the clock
most are four door hard tops. There were nine but we got the others. We
can put your name on them and get them before the auction and save
thousands. They are telling us we can get nine or get none. So help us we
want one but we need to get all of them between other collectors. They are
starting to sell the HMMWVs but they are in lots of up to eighty and we
cannot get the money to buy that many. After the auctions the dealers want,
as you know up to $32000 US. Please help.

Know we can get these for $24,000 Australian dollars, which I believe, is
$12000 to $14000 US dollars but please check the exchange rate.

We have to move quickly the military want 50 per cent deposits by Monday. I
may be able to stall them a little and even cover your deposit for a couple
of days. The vehicle will be released in sixty days when we have to pay the
rest.

The vehicles have all auction paper work and disposal paper work from the
army.

There may be more at the end of September but I do not know how big a lots
they will be in. At this stage the military are talking about may even just
destroy them.

Any question please e-mail or phone me on after hour number 61356253678.

David Bush

John Hutterer
Sen. Eng. Lab. Tech.
SIMS Deltec