[MV] CCKW stuff (outer seals)

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 05:54:08 PDT

Jeff,
I wonder if the same situation exists, where the outer seal is not needed, on
the
M35A2 trucks? Back before I knew how to do the inner seal job and packing
the wheel bearings, I paid a visit to my local National Guard motor pool and
asked some questions. They said that they don't bother putting the outer
seals in and let the differential's lube take care of the bearings, though
they
do still pack the bearings with regular chassis grease. This unit convoys to
Camp Drum, NY, at least once a year, so their system must work okay. That's a
long
trip from southern NJ. My main concern was what type of grese they used.
When I asked, one of the guys pointed to an open 5-gallon pail of regular
chassis grease. They don't even use the blue or red greases that are designed
for extreme service.
Joe Young