Re: [MV] Towing 12 v. trailer with 24 v. M35

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 06:35:11 PDT

>Is that full application current draw? In other words, there is no in-between,
>either they are full on or not.

If your using one of the those brake controllers, like a Kelsey Hayes, that
taps into the trucks brake line, which is what I have, then the brake rate
is variable. However I tend to just use the handle when I feel like it and
not worry about the automatic part. But, you should be using a series
resistor anyway, which are available form Kelsey Hayse for sure, to help
tune the braking effort. On my M715 I just put 2 of those resistors in
series after the controller unit. Unfortunately I have yet to pull a
trailer with electric brakes with that truck but its' all there and it
should all work.

As to lights, I just wired up my little camper with a set of used composite
lights ($15 each) with a second cord and 4 wire flat plug at the front.
Then took one of those mil trailer cords and spliced in a 4 wire flat plug
on it. System is real simple, just pick the plug for the the civy 12V or the
MV 24V. There may be a legal issue with having non operating lights, but
I'll cross that bridge if I get there. Of course you will save yourself
much trouble if you don't trailer at night.

je