Re: [MV] Towing 12 v. trailer with 24 v. M35

From: Ted Hintopoulos (hint@northnet.org)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 07:00:07 PDT

>Yes, that would be full application current draw. (As if you had connected
>the brake magnet directly to a 12 volt battery) The brake controller in your
>tow vehicle varies the voltage available to the magnets, which regulates the
>amount of braking force.

That answers my question, I wasn't sure.

>I would not wire the brakes in series because losing one magnet means losing
>the brakes on that axle. Trailers are not normally built with an
>over-abundance of brake capacity. Losing brakes on one axle could be very
>hazardous.The original question concerned a 4 horse trailer. 10" brakes a
>usually rated at 2500 lbs./axle brake capacity and 12" brakes are usually
>3500 lbs./axle. Four horses would weigh what? 5000 lbs.? Add to that the
>weight of the trailer, ta ck, feed, and personal gear and it's probably at
>the maximum of the brake system capacity. I wouldn't want to take a chance
>of losing half my brakes.

You have that possibility with todays vehicles, the loss of half your brakes.
Hydralic leak on a wheel will take out the 2nd wheel.
With one axle trailers, it means NO BRAKES.

>Electric brake magnets are designed to rub on the
>inside face of the drum. Eventually, the magnet wears down and the windings
>are exposed. They short against the drum and the brake stops working. A
>severe short can cause all 4 brakes to quit working, especially if it is in
>the magnet closest to the point where the brake power wire meets the front
>axle. Path of least resistance.

Best deal would be 24 volt coils or an auxillary 12 volt system with your MV.
>I spent five years working on tow vehicle wiring and trailer electric
>brakes. I've seen what can happen when trailer brakes are lost and I
>wouldn't recommend a wiring approach that increases the chance of that.

I hear that.

Thanks for the comeback John.

Ted H. MVPA 1705