Re: [MV] "Half Safe"

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 19:26:40 PDT

I have an original of the book "Half Safe - Across the Atlantic by Jeep" by
Ben Carlin 1955. There was a sequel book to it I believe also about Half
Safe in its later voyage. This jeep inspired others to modify GPA and go on
long long trips.

Wheels and Tracks had an article on one (TORTUGA ?).

A friend of mine also did this in the 1950s. He is a vet (of 13 Para Bn, 6
AB Div in 1945 Rhine Drop). He bought one of 4 GPAs that were surplus at
Levy's in Toronto c. 1955. One good (complete and expensive) one was outside
and three hulks were inside yard. I know - he showed me photos of all 4! He
bought middle one of the three hulks. The other hulks were later scrapped by
Leby's he said.

He kept combat rims, prop, winch on it. Says he has data plates but I have
not seen them. He grafted on a Dodge station wagon roof (with an escape
hatch in case she rolled over at sea), welded all hull seams with coat
hanger wire, extended the hull, put in a bigger taller engine, discarded w/s
etc. etc.

He took it to Central America and cruised around there. Has a fascinating
photos of it parked in front of a Mayan pyramid! Keeps it in running order.
He also drove it to work where he helped to build the Avro Arrow and Avro
flying saucer hover car (I forget its name).

NOT FOR SALE (as of three days ago - I keep asking and am first in line if
he ever decides to sell !). I doubt that it could be restored to a show
winner.

I don't know of any other GPAs in Canada except Reg Hodgson/Jim Fitzgerald's
restored one in Edmonton, AB. One minus its bow (front) was in Elliot's
Wrecking Yard (I believe) in Ontario many years ago but I believe I heard
that it went to a collector in Holland? It was pictured in Wheels & Tracks.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor MAPLE LEAF UP (Est. 1977) newsletter
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB